Established by the General Assembly in 2020, the Virginia American Revolution 250 Commission (VA250) serves to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the American Revolution, the Revolutionary War, and the independence of the United States in the Commonwealth of Virginia, one of the former colonies and future states, where much of this history took place.
Join us throughout Virginia as we commemorate the American Revolution and come together to mark 250 years since the founding of a nation and our continuing march toward a more perfect Union.
The Virginia American Revolution 250 Commission Names Carly Fiorina as Virginia’s National Honorary Chairperson
The Virginia American Revolution 250 Commission (VA250) is working with Virginia’s localities as they form their own committees to plan local and regionally-focused events for the semiquincentennial. Click here to find the contact for your locality and if you can’t find your city or county, click here to learn how to get started. VA250 offers many resources for its local partners including grant funding opportunities, networking roundtables, website development and many more. To learn more, visit www.va250.org/localcommittees/resources.
Add your 250th events on virginia.org here.
VA250 Marketing Leverage Program
Reimbursable grant program to leverage existing marketing funds. Requires a targeted and research-based marketing plan
- Marketing Focus: Destinations, programs, attractions, and events related to America’s 250th Commemoration and the quest for freedom
- Who is eligible: Officially recognized VA250 Committees. For information on how to become an officially recognized VA250 Committee, please visit www.VA250.orgMatch: 1:1 cash matchOpens: May 18, 2023Max Award: $10,000.How: Online application portal
- For information and questions, please email [email protected]
Start to consider itineraries around these themes:
- Connection to land
- We the people: exclusion and inclusion, expansion of citizenship
- American experiment: Founders didn’t have all the answers so civic action, voting, civil rights
- Culture, arts, music while experiencing history
“Travels with Darley: Revolutionary Road Trips” is coming to Virginia, as part of a multi-state project highlighting heritage tourism, history, culture and food in the lead up to the 250th and beyond. The “Travels with Darley” series has worked with DMOs since 2016 on similar projects that are on PBS, streaming, create content for partners and drive tourism and economic development. Please reach out to [email protected] and [email protected] to set up a brief call or Zoom to learn more and explore how your organization and area can be involved and benefit. Watch a sample episode from South Carolina- “Charleston & The Liberty Trail.”
Seeking American Revolution Destinations in Virginia!
This is a project that can use VA250 Marketing Leverage Grants available for $10K at a 1 to 1 match and also Virginia Tourism Grants. https://www.vatc.org/grants/ The next deadline for the VA250 Marketing Leverage Grant is July 18 and following that, October. Staci Martin at VA Tourism is the contact for more information on those grants.
For more information, contact:
Cheryl Wilson, Executive Director