Here in Virginia, we stand for LOVE. Virginia is for Lovers stands for equity, diversity, and inclusion. We believe that LOVE—and action—will be what moves us forward. And many times, action begins with conversations.
Virginia has a complicated past, and we’re often asked about subject matters that are incredibly painful—and sometimes, very tough to talk about. But we believe that honest, transparent communication will help Virginians and visitors alike develop a deeper understanding of Virginia’s past, present and future. That’s why we have collaborated with the incredible team at JMI/Share More Stories to help the Virginia tourism industry speak with confidence about our commitment to telling the truth and about our dedication to creating a warm and welcoming environment for all.
VTC worked closely with JMI/Share More Stories on a series of intimate focus groups, collecting research on who this audience is and what they want in a travel experience. Our goal is to use the information and direction from these learnings to guide our marketing efforts in order to position Virginia as an attractive destination for the Black travel audience.
The team at JMI developed these one-pager messaging briefs to help the Virginia tourism industry explore relevant discussion topics—some more painful than others. We hope this will give you a foundation for creating an honest dialogue with your residents as well as visitors about your destination’s commitment to inclusion and to honest storytelling.
- Race & Equity: The Under-Prioritization of Black Travelers, and What We’re Doing to Change That
- Race & Equity: The Journey to a More Inclusive Virginia, Part I: Not All Paths Are Alike
- Race & Equity: The Journey to a More Inclusive Virginia, Part II: The Journey to a More Equitable Virginia
- History: Acknowledging Virginia’s History of Slavery and Oppression
- History: Confederate Monument Removal
- Race & Equity: A Focus on the Black Travel Experience
- Race & Equity: Connecting Travelers to Black Culture
- Race & Equity: Creating a Safer Virginia for Black Travelers
- Race & Equity: Why Should Black Travelers Visit Virginia? Part I
- Race & Equity: Why Should Black Travelers Visit Virginia? Part II
- History: Telling the Full Story
- Race & Equity: The Importance of a Diverse Team